Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

On 10/20/18, Pierre Couderc <pierre@couderc.eu> wrote:
> I have updated my sources.list from stretch :
>
> root@server:~# cat  /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
> deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
>
> # buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
> deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
> root@server:~#apt update
>
> root@server:~# apt update
> Hit:1 http://debian.proxad.net/debian buster InRelease
> Hit:2 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease
> Hit:3 http://debian.proxad.net/debian buster-updates InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 295 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

I saw that this thread was already solved. Congratulations! I just
wanted to highlight that last line there and thank the Developer(s)
who added it to apt. It's a handy, useful tip popping up in a very
appropriate place that makes it accessible to users of various
experience levels. I'm always hopeful that tips like that inspire new
users to follow their curiosity over to "man apt" to see what other
helpful flags/commands might be humbly lurking in the nearby shadows.

> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> root@server:~#
>
> The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
>
> What am I missing ?

I don't know if that part was considered also solved so am a-suming
most likely yes. Just throwing in that there's always the possibility
of a stuck keyboard key if nothing else works in that specific kind of
case.

Stuck keyboard keys are the first thing I test. I do so by giving my
Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys (all *6* of them if present) a couple pops.
Doesn't always help, but it *has* helped enough that it's a conscious
check point on my own debugging list. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *