Re: basilisk-browser

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 11:49:44AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 10:02:42AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > I think its an good alternative to Firefox Quantum.
> > >
> > > More Infos here: https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
> >
> > Indeed, it does look good.
>
> No, it does not. UXP means Palemoon Browser.
> Palemoon means extremely hostile upstream - [1].

Thanks for the link, very instructive.

That would mean (in the context of Debian) that one would have to
(a) use the Basilisk-bundled libs (generally a no-no in Debian)
or (b) use a different name & brand. Yes, we know this story with
Firefox/Iceweasel. That'd mean that the packaging effort would
be a bit... more interesting.

I think both sides have their point, and the sad part for me is
that they didn't manage to tackle the conflict in a more civil
manner. Perhaps a lesson in humility for us all.

> Does Debian project really needs yet another Iceweasel incident?

What the world needs (badly) is more browser alternatives. I'm
seeing everything converging towards the dystopia where one huge
corporation controls the server and the client. We had that, and
it wasn't pretty; nowadays with smartphones, always-on, IoT and
perhaps worse, we are far more vulnerable to that (business?) model.

Cheers
-- t