Re: (solved) Re: jessie and stretch time problem

On Sat 13 Oct 2018 at 19:51:07 (+0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2018-10-13, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> Because China doesn't use Daylight Savings Time nowadays, your choice
> >> between UTC and local time is less important than for most as your
> >> clock doesn't have to be changed twice a year.
> >
> > Never knew this, I hope DST and China come up in a pub quiz!
>
> Me neither. What surprised me, though, is that China has no time zones,
> either (though it covers over 60 degrees of longitude).
>
> UTC+8 everywhere.
>
> Apparently Mao made the decision in 1949 to put everyone on Beijing
> Time (and into those cunning little tunics).

That's easy to do when all the power comes from one central authority.
In the USA, virtually the only nationwide rule is that if you want
to change the clocks at all, it has to be done on the same fixed dates.
Timezones, however, are really messy, partly caused, I believe, by the
problem of cities that straddle states in different timezones. I don't
know whether there are any individual counties that are split between zones.

> >> For everyone else, it makes a lot more sense to use UTC for the real
> >> time clock. Also, judging by my experience on this dual-booting
> >
> > For Debian (all we care about), UTC time set in the bios is the way to
> > go. Its always worked for me.

Same here. I used to run DOS on GMT, and had a switch in my programs
that added the hour to any time displayed. As for windows, I stopped
using it in the '90s, but I curate W10 on this PC, and it works
happily on UTC as MS seem to have fixed things.

Cheers,
David.