Re: something wrong with audio

Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> writes:
> Hi,
>

> > Actually that would be '/dev/snd*' not '/dev/dsp' (the latter being the
> > old, obsolete oss sound device from way back when, which I doubt would
> > exist on Stretch at all).
>
> /dev/dsp surely exists in case the snd-pcm-oss driver module is loaded.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael
>

> .-.. .. ...- .   .-.. --- -. --.   .- -. -..   .--. .-. --- ... .--. . .-.

--. --- --- -.. .- -.. ...- .. -.-. . .-.-.-

	Sometimes I am amazed at what I miss and it's right under
my nose.  I am running Debian stretch with mostly no problems so
I looked for /dev/snd and there it is and it is a directory.

	I also have /dev/dsp on this system because
snd-pcm-oss driver module is also loaded.  The reason is a long
story but the old and new systems seem to coexist without
trouble.

	Some years ago, I wrote some sound applications in gcc
that use /dev/dsp or /dev/dspx depending on the number of your
sound device and I made the mistake of using ancient examples of
how to code access to /dev/dsp devices such as the ioctl commands
to set whether one wants stereo, mono and what sampling rate to
use.

	I off-handedly wondered where the sound stuff went but
figured it was in /dev somewhere but wasn't forced to look yet.

	I don't know how I missed /dev/snd but I kept looking for
anything with pcm or dsp so, of course, never found it that way.

Thanks!  Yes, I am my version of awake.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ