Re: something wrong with audio

On 2018-10-10, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 12:33:11 +0000 (UTC)
> Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
>
> (...)
>> Actually that would be '/dev/snd*' not '/dev/dsp' (the latter being the
>> old, obsolete oss sound device from way back when, which I doubt would
>> exist on Stretch at all).
>
> /dev/dsp surely exists in case the snd-pcm-oss driver module is loaded.

In this very case, in fact, according to the OP's lsmod list, so, right.

Of course, at the same time we are obliged to note gandering at his
module list that he's loading Alsa modules, too.

IOW he'd loading both oss and Alsa modules simultaneously (I think
I'm repeating myself).

https://wiki.debian.org/ALSA#ALSA_and_OSS

 If you don't unload all OSS modules then ALSA modules will not be able
 to initialise (or work properly) because the OSS driver will be futzing
 with the sound hardware that the ALSA driver needs to control. If you
 see a message about "sound card not detected" and you are sure you have
 the right ALSA driver, the presence of an OSS module could be the
 reason.

Maybe this, as they say in French, explains that. Or maybe not. I dunno.

But the OP has moved on to greener pastures, so I guess we won't ever know.

--
"Now she understood that Anna could not have been in lilac, and that her charm
was just that she always stood out against her attire, that her dress could