Re: Utilites for probing blu-ray/dvd drive?

Hi,

Will wrote:
> I'm failing in my search to find some kind of diagnostic for my blu-ray
> drive that - for some reason - I can hear the drive spin up, but isn't
> reading DVDs or blu-rays.

Do i get it right that it's a computer attached drive, not a standlone
video player ?
If so: By what program do you try to read from it ?
If not: You are probably at the wrong place to ask.

> I was also curious if there is any generic
> utility that could probe the drive firmware as well?  Any pointers are
> appreciated. :)

The computer attached drives get operated by the SCSI protocol. The
sub-protocol MMC does not provide means to inspect the firmware or
the drive's health directly.

But possibly an inspection of the medium state by a burn program can
tell how the drive presents itself via the protocol.
With a medium, which is supposed to be readable, do:

  xorriso -scsi_log on -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso.log

(assuming that you only have one drive which then is /dev/sr0).

The messages will be shown and also caught in file /tmp/xorriso.log which
then would be interesting to see. Expect about 100 to 200 lines of text.
Send the xorriso.log to me in private so i can look for clues. I will
then report to the list.

Some of the SCSI commands used by xorriso will also be used by the kernel
or programs which access the drive directly via SCSI/MMC.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas