Re: Utilites for probing blu-ray/dvd drive?

Hi,

Will wrote:
> There are a few Windows/DOS utilites to flash/probe the drive firmware.  I
> was just wondering if there was any kind of Linux equivalent.

If i google "dvd diagnostic software" i get advertising for data recovery
tools, which look mostly like hot air wrapped around normal SCSI commands,
and manufacturer specific media inspectors, which seem to use commands which
are not documented in SCSI specs.
A firmware prober is not to see.

On GNU/Linux i could offer my program xorriso for seeing the SCSI transaction
dialog between drive and burn program, and for data recovery by standard
SCSI commands. For a start you could run the proposed mini inspection
of drive and inserted medium:

  xorriso -scsi_log on -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso.log

A manufacturer specific media inspector is the software suite QPxTool
  http://qpxtool.sourceforge.net

Among the QPxTools is a firmware flasher for Plextor drives. But given the
promiscuity of vendors, it is unclear for which drives it would actually
work.
The suite dvd+rw-tools contains a program "btcflash" which promises to
flash firmware of brives by vendor BTC.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas