Re: Which Kernel for Buster?

Stephen P. Molnar, on 2018-10-08:
> I'm confused  a normal state for me, one of increasing mental
> entropy)?

Let's exchange some, then...

> I decided to try Buster in VirtualBox on my Stretch AMD
> platform and downloaded the dvd1.  The installer installed the
> 4.16.0 kernel, but no header fiels for that kernel, but rather
> the header files for the 4.18.0 kernel.Consequently, full
> screen is not available due to the fact that I can't install
> the VBoxAdditions.

It pretty much looks like your running Linux image 4.16 is the
one provided in the DVD 1 of Buster, and you downloaded headers
from up-to-date repositories, currently providing either Linux
4.17 or 4.18.  You may wish to upgrade your linux-image-amd64
package (or whatever architecture you are using) to get the
latest level installed in your VM.

Eventually, you can select the version matching your current
headers, most likely linux-image-4.18.0-2-amd64 for
linux-headers-4.18.0-2-amd64, but be aware that you will miss
next kernel upgrades in that case

I believe Virtual Box additions are provided as a set of DKMS
modules, so it should build automatically at Linux image
installation, if module sources are still present.

> Help out a confused chemist and someone explain just what is
> going on.

Hopefully the amount of entropy created won't grow further,
Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>