Re: More info - was [Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages]

https://www.debian.org/News/2018/20180623

 > After this point release, Debian's Security and Release Teams
 > will no longer be producing updates for Debian 8.

I suppose you have LTS in mind? For me, this isn't quite the same degree
of service I've come to expect from the Security Team and I am not quite
sure what I get for my money.

> > dist-upgrade is most unlikely to bring it to its knees.
>
> I can't follow what the fuss is over whether to use upgrade or
> dist-upgrade. Normally I just upgrade whenever I'm told (by my cron
> job) that  -d upgrade  has downloaded something into the cache; if
> I'm then told that packages are being held back, I dist-upgrade.

I cannot recollect the last time I passed on a dist-upgrade on unstable
after weighing up what was on the screen. Actually, I am getting to like
the 'apt full-upgrade' approach, as opposed to 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.
251 packages this morning to be upgraded and just 1 (libsane) to be
REMOVED.

But the removal is ok because libsane1 is listed as a NEW package to be
installed. It could be libsane1 will make me unhappy but having the time
to investigate isn't always available. So, like you, I'll just do it.

--
Brian.