Re: More info - was [Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages]

On Friday, October 05, 2018 07:25:29 AM Reco wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2018 at 07:03:13AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> > Can someone describe (or point to) a description of how dist-upgrade

> > determines the more important app? (Oh, I'm guessing it has to do with

> > the whatever it is called label on each package, something like

> > required, recommended, ... (I may be using the wrong words). Supposed

> > dist-upgrade has to choose between two packages that have the same

> > label?

> I'm afraid I lost you here.

> Is 'more important' refers to dependency alternatives? Package

> priorities? Something else?

> By 'label' did you mean 'Tag' field or something else?

> Let's try to do it this way.

> Execute 'apt show bash', observe there result.

> Ask your question once more, but this time use 'apt show bash' as a

> guide.

Thanks for your reply!

Ok, I ran

<quote>

root@s31:~# apt show bash

Package: bash

Version: 4.3-11+deb8u1

Essential: yes

Installed-Size: 5,130 kB

Maintainer: Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>

Replaces: bash-completion (<< 20060301-0), bash-doc (<= 2.05-1)

Depends: base-files (>= 2.1.12), debianutils (>= 2.15)

Pre-Depends: dash (>= 0.5.5.1-2.2), libc6 (>= 2.15), libncurses5 (>=

5.5-5~), libtinfo5

Recommends: bash-completion (>= 20060301-0)

Suggests: bash-doc

Conflicts: bash-completion (<< 20060301-0)

Homepage: http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashtop.html

Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::shell, role::program, scope::utility,

suite::gnu, uitoolkit::ncurses

Section: shells

Download-Size: 1,172 kB

APT-Manual-Installed: yes

APT-Sources: http://debian.cc.lehigh.edu/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

Bash is an sh-compatible command language interpreter that executes

commands read from the standard input or from a file. Bash also

incorporates useful features from the Korn and C shells (ksh and csh).

.

Bash is ultimately intended to be a conformant implementation of the

IEEE POSIX Shell and Tools specification (IEEE Working Group 1003.2).

.

The Programmable Completion Code, by Ian Macdonald, is now found in

the bash-completion package.

</quote>

I'm not sure I know enough to re-phrase the question. I'm also surprised / confused to see the two tags: "Essential: yes" and "Priority: required" -- I presume that is not redundant information, but at first glance it seems so.

Anyway, I am just "fishing" for information on how dist-upgrade decides which package is more important to install (when faced with such a decision).

I suppose I can live without knowing that ;-)