No sound after installing debian

Hi all,  I am a blind user of Debian and have made several attempts to install Debian both stretch and testing with the same strange problem.  I have speech during the install prosses and the system installs with no problem.  How ever after booting into the new system the speech is not there.  I tried going to alsamixer with root access and razing the sound valume with no luck.  This happens both with the alfa and stable installs.  I tried with both isos installing with a gnome install as well as a mate install.  I don’t recall ever having this problems with this.  I do not have any bare bones system to try with so using a virtual machine.  Any one here have any ideas on how to rectify getting speech back aftr installing.

Thanks again.

Matthew