Re: all files moved to lost+found

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 14:11, Abdullah Ramazanoğlu <ar018@yahoo.com> wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 11:09:50 -0300 Beco said:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a bit of a problem I never faced before and I'm in need of some
> guidance that may require some patience if to do it right and not lose any
> data.
>
> I have a lenovo ideapad 320, and I changed its internal HD to a 2TB
> seagate, 3 months ago.
>
> In the last couple of weeks I got this "small" problem twice:
>
> Laptop won't boot saying it couldn't read /home partition. The only
> partition in the 2TB plus a swap. OS is in a SSD.
>
> So, twice I could login as root single mode, run:
>
> e2fsck -vy /dev/sda3
>
> and boot ok after lots of messages of inodes failing to do their inodes
> thing.
>
> This time was different: I booted the machine and it won't complain, just
> opened KDE with no icons on it. Blank desktop, with my owl wallpaper.
>
> I was worried, moved to tty1, killed the desktop section and then run the
> same e2fsck above. Again, lots of inodes errors.
>
> No badblocks. I also run e2fsck -pckv /dev/sda3 which took 5 hours to
> finish, and no badblocks.
>
> Now, I rebooted it, and still, same empty /home/user
>
> I notice on the other hand that there are A LOT of files under
> /home/lost+found
> All names are just numbers in the form "#383389933" and so on. Even
> directories like that.
>
> I used "file #339938383" to see what the file is about. I found some PGN
> images, and I could also identify some of my directories. They seem to be
> all there. Just the names are crazy, and they are not in /home/user.
>
> Now that I never got before.
>
> How should I proceed?
>
> Is there a command that brings back lost+found files to theis
> "found-and-not-lost" correct places?
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Beco

Hi Beco,

As I understand it you had repeated disk failures and consecutively a massive
file-system     corruption.

The files in lost+found are those that are recovered by fsck. There are
probably unrecovered ones too (lost forever). As for restoring their original
names and directory hierarchy, I don't know if it is possible at all - other
than manually inspecting and renaming/relocating every one of them separately.
I think the best course of action would be dealing with the hardware and FS
corruption issue first, and then reformatting /home and restoring from backups.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu

Dear Abdullah,

Thanks for your reply. I tend to agree. I am still not sure what CAUSED the problem in the first place.

If I need to change HD? (I'm not convinced, HD seems ok). Is there any kind of hardware problem with LENOVO IDEAPAD 320? Maybe... But what?

And the logs... I looked at various logs, no problems, except some minor drivers that won't read (like wireless and nvidia).
Same old, same old.

Now this, this is my first time. To loose ALL /home?? In the first morning boot, without warning, just a clean boot and a empty desktop?

What sorcery is that?

Beco

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09