Re: all files moved to lost+found

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 15:25, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 9/30/18 7:09 AM, Beco wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a bit of a problem I never faced before and I'm in need of some
> guidance that may require some patience if to do it right and not lose any
> data.
>
> I have a lenovo ideapad 320, and I changed its internal HD to a 2TB
> seagate, 3 months ago.
>
> In the last couple of weeks I got this "small" problem twice:
>
> Laptop won't boot saying it couldn't read /home partition. The only
> partition in the 2TB plus a swap. OS is in a SSD.
>
> So, twice I could login as root single mode, run:
>
> e2fsck -vy /dev/sda3
>
> and boot ok after lots of messages of inodes failing to do their inodes
> thing.
>
> This time was different: I booted the machine and it won't complain, just
> opened KDE with no icons on it. Blank desktop, with my owl wallpaper.
>
> I was worried, moved to tty1, killed the desktop section and then run the
> same e2fsck above. Again, lots of inodes errors.
>
> No badblocks. I also run e2fsck -pckv /dev/sda3 which took 5 hours to
> finish, and no badblocks.
>
> Now, I rebooted it, and still, same empty /home/user
>
> I notice on the other hand that there are A LOT of files under
> /home/lost+found
> All names are just numbers in the form "#383389933" and so on. Even
> directories like that.
>
> I used "file #339938383" to see what the file is about. I found some PGN
> images, and I could also identify some of my directories. They seem to be
> all there. Just the names are crazy, and they are not in /home/user.
>
> Now that I never got before.
>
> How should I proceed?
>
> Is there a command that brings back lost+found files to theis
> "found-and-not-lost" correct places?
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Beco

Download and run Seagate's diagnostic tool on the 2 TB drive:

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

(I have been using the bootable CD image for years ("legacy"), but it
looks like they finally have a bootable USB image.)

Use a camera and take pictures of the various screens.  Transcribe them
into a reply to this list.

Do you have backups?

David

Thanks David,

I'll give it a try. I just run

e2fsck -pckv /dev/sda3

It lasted 5 hours running. I took a picture, here is the transcript:

286708 inodes used (0.25% of 112926720)
3776 non-contiguous files (1.3%)
84 non-contiguous dir (0%)
ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
extent depth histogram: 285759/645
67067830 blocks used (14% of 451678229)
0 bad blocks
11 large files

240878 reg files
45498 dir
0 char devs
0 block devs
2 fifos
0 links
319 symbolic links
2 sockets
-----
286699 files

--------------

but if you look /home/user, it is just empty. Ok, I found a couple of hidden files, like .bashrc, .profile, .config and things inside it. For example, inside .config there are files like cache, git-config, etc.

Some are missing. My .ssh dir for example, with keys, missing.

Inside /home/lost+found is just madness

A LOT A LOT of #32432432 #2342342 #52343242 #5234234 #4234324
and many dirs:
#123123123/ #5235235234/
etc.

Should I install this software regardless? I mean, I don't want to start installing things on the HD that I'm supposed to recover somehow.

What could cause this in the first place? Yesterday I turned it off ok, went to sleep, and today the first boot and nothing on /home.

Regarding backup, I was afraid my last backup was 3 months old. It turns out I have one just one month old. It is a big loss yet, but well, what can you do after the fact...

Is it possible that this microcodes updating everyweek turned our computer into timebombs? My laptop is new, debian was installed 3 months ago, nothing much here.

I'm writing from my old laptop, 6 years old, debian, still working. The same configuration I used in the new one. This old is DELL, the new one is LENOVO.

Original HD was 1TB and no SSD. That was the only modification I made: SSD with / root, and 2TB HD seagate with /home.

Yesterday I noticed while using google chrome to browse that everything froze. I needed to go to tty1 (ALT+F1) and kill sddm (systemctl restart sddm), and then back to ALT+F7 , login again, and all good to use.

Beco

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09