Re: all files moved to lost+found

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 11:09:50 -0300 Beco said:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a bit of a problem I never faced before and I'm in need of some
> guidance that may require some patience if to do it right and not lose any
> data.
>
> I have a lenovo ideapad 320, and I changed its internal HD to a 2TB
> seagate, 3 months ago.
>
> In the last couple of weeks I got this "small" problem twice:
>
> Laptop won't boot saying it couldn't read /home partition. The only
> partition in the 2TB plus a swap. OS is in a SSD.
>
> So, twice I could login as root single mode, run:
>
> e2fsck -vy /dev/sda3
>
> and boot ok after lots of messages of inodes failing to do their inodes
> thing.
>
> This time was different: I booted the machine and it won't complain, just
> opened KDE with no icons on it. Blank desktop, with my owl wallpaper.
>
> I was worried, moved to tty1, killed the desktop section and then run the
> same e2fsck above. Again, lots of inodes errors.
>
> No badblocks. I also run e2fsck -pckv /dev/sda3 which took 5 hours to
> finish, and no badblocks.
>
> Now, I rebooted it, and still, same empty /home/user
>
> I notice on the other hand that there are A LOT of files under
> /home/lost+found
> All names are just numbers in the form "#383389933" and so on. Even
> directories like that.
>
> I used "file #339938383" to see what the file is about. I found some PGN
> images, and I could also identify some of my directories. They seem to be
> all there. Just the names are crazy, and they are not in /home/user.
>
> Now that I never got before.
>
> How should I proceed?
>
> Is there a command that brings back lost+found files to theis
> "found-and-not-lost" correct places?
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Beco

Hi Beco,

As I understand it you had repeated disk failures and consecutively a massive
file-system	corruption.

The files in lost+found are those that are recovered by fsck. There are
probably unrecovered ones too (lost forever). As for restoring their original
names and directory hierarchy, I don't know if it is possible at all - other
than manually inspecting and renaming/relocating every one of them separately.
I think the best course of action would be dealing with the hardware and FS
corruption issue first, and then reformatting /home and restoring from backups.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu