Re: can apt-daily and apt-daily-upgrade be purged from Buster?

On 23/09/2018 13:12, Felix Miata wrote:
What installs/owns these systemd pseudo-programs? I want them eradicated, not
simply disabled. One or more of them by default lock package management at boot
so that I can't proceed with any of the operations that are the reason I booted.

These are provided by the "apt" package, which you should not remove as it is required for the normal maintenance of a Debian system. Attempting to remove it will result in the following dire warning:

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  apt
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 24 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 261 MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

I like to do all my package management manually, so I use "systemctl mask" to prevent these units from starting.

I use three levels of systemd prevention:

- "systemctl stop": stop a running unit.

- "systemctl disable": prevents a unit from being started by default, but does not prevent a unit from being started by another unit or by some socket witchcraft.

- "systemctl mask": prevents a unit from being started. Ever. The AK47 of unit prevention. When you absolutely positively have to stop a unit from starting. (Apologies to Samuel L Jackson in "Jackie Brown".)

I think I used something like:

systemctl mask apt-daily-upgrade.timer
systemctl mask apt-daily.service
systemctl mask apt-daily.timer

Now "ls -al /etc/systemd/system" contains these:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 May 5 2017 apt-daily-upgrade.timer -> /dev/null
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    9 Apr 15  2017 apt-daily.service -> /dev/null
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    9 Apr 15  2017 apt-daily.timer -> /dev/null

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director