Re: Permission issues - operator error?

On 9/22/18 5:30 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 09/22/2018 03:40 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/22/18 7:28 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 09/22/2018 08:44 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm assuming operator problem as I get same symptoms on:
     two laptops each running different Debian releases (6.8, 9.1).
       [both using MATE desktop]
     two different media (32Gb USB flash, 240 Gb USB SSD).

Logged in as 'richard' I use Gparted (providing root password) to
repartition the drive. As I'm diagnosing problems I do a power off/on
cycle to force a cold boot.

After login in as either 'richard' or 'root' permissions are displayed
as "could not be determined".

Sounds like maybe UID issues between the installs.

I'm safe from that one on two counts.

I did the partitioning and permission steps on the same installation tests on the same combination of hardware and OS.

Since Squeeze I've followed the same installation routine. I allow login as root and answer the prompt for user the same (i.e. "Richard Owlett). Once in the past I had cause to investigate UID's among installs. They were always the same.

Please post a console session that demonstrates what you are talking about.

I've spent some time today working towards that. Been going thru some CLI oriented tutorials. One of the problems when doing too much via GUI. It hides important details.

Command-line interfaces and console sessions work the best for mailing lists.

But if you are experiencing problems with a GUI and cannot reproduce them from a terminal, then you need a screen capture tool and a web server where you can post the pictures/ video.

David