Re: Print with mupdf?

<http://www.linuxcnc.org>

> > I see it has "print all", and "print-marked" options that use lpr,
> > so one would have to setup some defaults to make it use the correct
> > printer, and printer profile in a more than one printer environment.
> > Getting that /right/ might take some experimentation.
>
> Yes, but that'd be the Right Unix Way (TM), not every app bringing
> along its little world and trampling on other's front gardens >;-)

True.

> > It properly handled the graphics symbols commonly used in math, but
> > of what I looked at, no color graphics, so let me look at something
> > I am quite familiar with. But I wasn't able to navigate its broken
> > directory reader in its open selector to gain access to those docs.
> > Thats a showstopper. The slider that should allow one to scan a
> > directory tree alternates between a small marker one can drag with a
> > mouse, but on a second drag attempt it jumps to full height of the
> > buttons space, and allows no more scanning of the /usr/share/doc
> > directory while still in the a's. Total show stopper here if it's
> > incapable of navigating a directory with thousands of entries.
>
> I'll do some research on gv if nobody bears me to it. Gv builds on
> ghostscript and /should/ do color (famous last words)

I have no doubts it will do the color stuffs just fine. The code at its
core is at least 30yo and did fine printing it to a cgp-220 ink
squirter. Which had all the resolution of a 7 dot x 9 pin dot matrix pin
pounder, so it did far more damage to the image than the code did.

It is the file open dialog that cripples it, sucking dead toads thru soda
straws, but theres a move afoot on the left coast here to outlaw straws
now. Probably another of PETA's wild ideas predicated on the toad being
alive before it encountered the straw. :)

Since it (ghostscript) was purely a cli driven codebase 30 years ago,
taking all its option settings from command line arguments, the trouble
I encountered can be laid on the table in front of the coder who added
the GUI file open dialog in more recent history. A quick look at "man
gv" shows that the cli arguments have not all been stripped out. If
curious try to see the diffs between gv -h, and ghostscript -h. I note
that ghostscript still carry's the Artifex copyright notice:

gene@coyote:/media$ ghostscript -h
GPL Ghostscript 9.05 (2012-02-08)
Copyright (C) 2010 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Whereas gv has even stripped that out. Both should be able to handle
pdf's up to 1.3 but the pdf spec has been advanced since, I think to
1.5? but don't have data to show that other than writing a script to get
that from the headers of a quarter terabyte of pdf's I have here.

All this of coarse can be seen by any user who cares to look, so I'm
carrying a bucket of very cold ashes to Newcastle with this post.

> cheers
> -- tomás

Take care now, Tomas.

--