Re: Print with mupdf?

On Friday 21 September 2018 03:05:46 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:15:40PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Considering the src, and licenseing, thats not surprising.
> > ghostscript was written to get away from that, was gpl'd but no
> > support from Artifex, but has since been relegated to print only
> > functions, stripping out what was an excellent at the time 20 years
> > back, a truely excellent screen renderer and a page file at a time
> > printer driver [...]
>
> What's wrong with gv? That's ghostview's younger sister, and (as
> ghostview) a GUI around ghostscript's X backend. Displays pdf and
> postscript fine around here.

Probably a good question Tomas, but I've no recent experience with it.
Installed now, and looking for a pdf to look at, I found the phd thesis
of Sonja MacFarland, dated in 2001, that probably covers some of the
math in the LinuxCNC trajectory planner, which was last updated about a
year ago.

Very interesting reading about properly driving a robot for both smooth
motions and minimum wasted time. Several hundred pages of method and
math that exceeds my math abilities.

I see it has "print all", and "print-marked" options that use lpr, so one
would have to setup some defaults to make it use the correct printer,
and printer profile in a more than one printer environment. Getting
that /right/ might take some experimentation.

It properly handled the graphics symbols commonly used in math, but of
what I looked at, no color graphics, so let me look at something I am
quite familiar with. But I wasn't able to navigate its broken directory
reader in its open selector to gain access to those docs. Thats a
showstopper. The slider that should allow one to scan a directory tree
alternates between a small marker one can drag with a mouse, but on a
second drag attempt it jumps to full height of the buttons space, and
allows no more scanning of the /usr/share/doc directory while still in
the a's. Total show stopper here if it's incapable of navigating a
directory with thousands of entries.

> Cheers
> -- t
Take care Tomas.