Re: The big, the bloated and the hungry

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:21:03 +0200
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org> wrote:

> My first GNU/Linux computer ran a Mandriva 2007 (released late
> 2006) operating system, shipping by default with KDE 3.5.  The
> box itself was some junk from early 2000 with average hardware
> even from these days standards.
>
> It is cool having seen that kind of user interface run on a AMD
> K6, 256 MiB RAM and 4 GiB of disk space for /, /home and the
> swap:
>
> 	https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/images/a/ac/Screenshot2-1.jpg

My first GNU/Linux system was BasicLinux, essentially a "Live
F[loppy]DD" distribution. It's a whole 2.8MB, and runs off two
floppies. I don't recall the exact details of its X implementation, but
I still vividly remember the thrill I felt that first time when, after
modprobing (or insmoding?) the appropriate ethernet driver and then
configuring and bringing up the interface, I had a working *nix system
with a working network connection!

https://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/

Celejar