Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On 28/08/2018 19:23, Miles Fidelman wrote:
On 8/28/18 1:48 PM, Michael Stone wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 05:02:08PM +0100, Mark Rousell wrote:
Lots of people download files from FTP servers but that's a wholly different
culture and use case than Usenet provided for in practice. And who said that
binaries (whether legal or illegal) was not a big part of Usenet at its height?

Anyone who argues that NNTP is the most efficient thing around? I guarantee that for large files FTP is more efficient, and that when one person is sending a file to a small number of other peopl, FTP is dramatically more efficient. I guess NNTP binary distribution is more efficient in some theoretical world where exactly the right subscriptions are distributed to exactly the right people via local transit servers, with no reposts. We can probably just write the volume of such transfers off as noise in the real world.

NNTP is exceptionally efficient for large scale message distribution - when compared to, say, a mailing list server that sends a message per subscriber.

Indeed.

And ISPs' historical problems Usenet's massive bandwidth due to binaries does not change the fact that NNTP is very good for message distribution.

--
Mark Rousell