Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Monday 27 August 2018 11:11:37 David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 25 Aug 2018 at 14:27:38 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
> > David writes:
> > > Or are you talking about some type of "shared channel" of which I
> > > have no knowledge?
> >
> > Cable providers may have a great many customers on a single cable
> > with large (but limited) bandwidth.
>
> Oh, like me, you mean. When we wanted to get our cable strung from the
> pole with the least obstructed view of our house, the linesman first
> told us that all the terminations were taken, but on ringing the
> office, he found that one line was not subscribed to, so we were able
> to connect to that pole. When I walk down the back alleys, I can see
> other poles connected to the same main coax feed that links the poles.
>
> I'm still scratching my head why subscribing to NNTP newsgroups should
> lead to bandwidth problems rather than usage ones. I can hit my
> bandwidth limits in many other ways like downloading youtube videos,
> watching TV, etc, but the hard limit is my usage, where I would end up
> paying money for any excess.

That bandwidth limit is not on your side of the isp, its the bandwidth
from the main trunk lines to the isp. NNTP is a huge bandwidth hog
regardless of how much of it your isp accepts for spooling on local disk
to serve you.

> > Some rural providers may have limited backhaul bandwidth.  They make
> > promises to customers based on optimistic estimates of peak usage.
Here at least, thats gradually getting better.

> Now it appears that you're using "usage" where I would write
> "bandwidth". Am I in a minority of one here? Bandwidth is the rate of
> transfer of bits, whereas usage is the quantity of bits transferred
> irrespective of how fast they accumulated.

Thats a pretty good view of the differences.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)