Re: iproute, NM and ifupdown

On Sunday 26 August 2018 13:36:41 Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Le 26/08/2018 à 17:24, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> >>
> >> No, there is no obscure keyword and nothing between the lines.
> >
> > Oh? And you wrote that manpage I suppose, and you don't make
> > mistakes...
>
> Irrelevant.

If you didn't write it, I apologize for venting at the wrong person.

> > You may be able to read it, knowing what you "intended" to write.
> > But others aren't mind readers.
>
> Maybe I was not clear enough. Let me rephrase a bit.
>
> Contrary to what you wrote, there is no obscure keyword to use in
> /etc/network/interfaces to tell NetworkManager to keep its hands off a
> given interface.
>
> >> By default, NM does not manage any interface configured in
> >> /etc/network/interfaces. So all you have to do is configure your
> >> interface with an "iface" stanza in /etc/network/interfaces as
> >> usual so that it is managed by ifupdown and not by NM.
> >
> > I have had N-M tear down a well configured staticly defined eth0 on
> > dozens of occasions, despite using the iface designation in my
> > e-n-i's.
>
> Then it is a bug which should be reported and fixed. It is not
> intended behaviour.

Any fusses I have posted to bugzilla have all been "won't fix" in just a
few minutes. You'd think its tailor was Dupont. Teflon suits IOW.
> > Most recently on a stretch install on a rock64 I had to erect
> > immutable attributes to resolv.conf after making it a real file, and
> > e-n-i to make networking Just Work.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf is a rather different topic, because it is not
> related to a specific interface and may be written by several pieces
> of software, including but not limited to NetworkManager when
> configuring *any* interface. I would suggest using resolvconf but I
> suspect you would not like it either.
Ohkaay, but where's the docs on this mysterious resolvconf?

What we do have is missing (wheezy) or horribly incomplete (jessie).

But I'll have to take that back, my apologies. I just read the stretch
version on that rock64.  And as man pages go, its decent. And I'll have
to do some experimenting as its possible I can train it to behave.

And curious I blink compared the jessie vs stretch versions, stretch's is
both longer AND more complete, and two different authors and formatted
completely different. And wheezy doesn't even have the man page. I don't
even know if it should, maybe not for wheezy, lots of water has been
recycled since those installs were made, so I'll plead oldtimers.

--
Cheers Pascal, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)