Re: iproute, NM and ifupdown

On Sun 26 Aug 2018 at 14:24:23 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 26 August 2018 13:36:41 Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Le 26/08/2018 à 17:24, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > > Most recently on a stretch install on a rock64 I had to erect
> > > immutable attributes to resolv.conf after making it a real file, and
> > > e-n-i to make networking Just Work.
> >
> > /etc/resolv.conf is a rather different topic, because it is not
> > related to a specific interface and may be written by several pieces
> > of software, including but not limited to NetworkManager when
> > configuring *any* interface. I would suggest using resolvconf but I
> > suspect you would not like it either.
> Ohkaay, but where's the docs on this mysterious resolvconf?
>
> What we do have is missing (wheezy) or horribly incomplete (jessie).
>
> But I'll have to take that back, my apologies. I just read the stretch
> version on that rock64.  And as man pages go, its decent. And I'll have
> to do some experimenting as its possible I can train it to behave.
>
> And curious I blink compared the jessie vs stretch versions, stretch's is
> both longer AND more complete, and two different authors and formatted
> completely different. And wheezy doesn't even have the man page. I don't
> even know if it should, maybe not for wheezy, lots of water has been
> recycled since those installs were made, so I'll plead oldtimers.

This is very strange. I just did (in 80 column xterms):

$ man resolvconf > /tmp/resolvconf-stretch

and the same for jessie and wheezy on the appropriate computers.

$ diff /tmp/resolvconf-[sj]*
3,4d2
<
<
278d275
<
295,296d291
<
<
$

so a few blank lines have been removed between jessie and stretch.
As for wheezy not having a man page:

$ wc /tmp/resolvconf-wheezy
  301  1748 14876 /tmp/resolvconf-wheezy
$ cat /etc/debian_version
7.11
$ dpkg -l resolvconf
||/ Name                Version        Architecture   Description
+++-===================-==============-==============-===========================================
ii  resolvconf          1.67           all            name server information handler
$ dpkg -L resolvconf | grep /man./
/usr/share/man/man8/resolvconf.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/interface-order.5.gz
$

So one can't help wondering exactly what is installed on your machines
if things don't match. Note that there are significant differences
between the different versions, so following the stretch/jessie man
page could give you problems on a wheezy machine. (I haven't checked
out backports.)

Cheers,
David.