Re: painted into a corner

On Tuesday 21 August 2018 23:03:29 David Christensen wrote:

> On 08/21/2018 07:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 August 2018 22:08:07 Felix Miata wrote:
> >> Gene Heskett composed on 2018-08-21 20:29 (UTC-0400):
> >>
> >> I've been scratching my head trying to remember the details of
> >> bootloader installation in debian-installer and coming up nada,
> >> except for somehow being able to specify /dev/null as location, let
> >> it complain about bootloader installation failure, and not have it
> >> corrupt my existing bootloader configuration, which always includes
> >> generic/legacy compatible MBR code.
> >
> > Exactly my concern given the bull in a china shop attitude the
> > installer seems to have.
>
> Are you using the d-i in standard "install" mode, or in "advanced ->
> expert" mode?  The latter gives you much more control.

I think I did answer this once before David, but I was useing what looked
to be a simple install, 1 up from the advanced gui install at the bottom
of the start screen list.

I've been busy getting a verdict and script from the doc today, bought a
new shredder to replace the one that has a split personality, then
caring for the missus, and have not tried another install, but will
tommorrow using the Advanced mode.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)