Re: painted into a corner

On 08/21/2018 07:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 21 August 2018 22:08:07 Felix Miata wrote:

Gene Heskett composed on 2018-08-21 20:29 (UTC-0400):
it will not install grub on anything but /dev/sda.

I've been scratching my head trying to remember the details of
bootloader installation in debian-installer and coming up nada, except
for somehow being able to specify /dev/null as location, let it
complain about bootloader installation failure, and not have it
corrupt my existing bootloader configuration, which always includes
generic/legacy compatible MBR code.

Exactly my concern given the bull in a china shop attitude the installer
seems to have.

Are you using the d-i in standard "install" mode, or in "advanced -> expert" mode? The latter gives you much more control.

David