Re: what is special about unrar-free when we have unar ?

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 07:58:33AM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
So the question is, are there any corner cases where unrar-free excels

As I suggested before, compatability with existing scripts is one reason--unar has incompatible command line syntax. (Although along those lines, having /usr/bin/unrar be an alternative between two programs with incompatible options as currently is horrible.) There are a number of other packages which depend on or recommend unrar, which would presumably need to be modified to work with unar. (And now I'm wondering how many of them break if unrar-nonfree is installed.) In general things aren't removed just because there are options.

Mike Stone