Re: what is special about unrar-free when we have unar ?

	Hi.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:26:53PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please CC me as I'm not following the list per-se (due to traffic
> constraints and just inability to manage information flow.)
>
> Does anybody know why unrar-free is till in Debian repo. when we have
> unar which does the same or more (support for rarv5 among others) . I
> do get the idea that we should have alternatives for any application
> or is there something more that I don't know ?

It's more likely that you've been lucky and haven't met multipart solid
password-protected RAR5 archives. unar cannot chew on these.
bsdtar (which has some RAR support) cannot even do 'solid' part of
previous statement.
So, it's sad, gross, but unrar-nonfree stays in non-free for all those
cornercases.

Reco