Re: connecting to two networks simultaneously on buster

On Wed 22 Aug 2018 at 10:29:01 (+1000), Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:08:10PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> > > I've done that on a couple boxes here -- a laptop (WiFi and an
> > > Ethernet) and a workstation (2 Ethernets)
> > >
> > > On both of them, I wrote a /etc/network/interfaces script to give an
> > > IP to the Ethernet and start at boot. The others are DHCP and don't
> > > come on at boot.
> >
> > Thanks.  I added a few lines to /e/n/i and everything works just fine
> > now.  The actual lines are
> >
> > ,----
> > | # the USB network for my Gemini
> > | auto enp0s29u1u1
> > | iface enp0s29u1u1 inet static
> > |   address 10.15.19.80
> > `----
> >
> > and I simply "sudo ifup enp0s29u1u1" when I need it.
> >
> > But I still do not understand why it works automatically on one of the
> > systems but not the other.  One of those mysteries, I guess.
>
> Static configuration is by necessity (basically) custom setup - i.e.
> requires manual intervention.
>
> Automatic means the above /e/n/i lines would look like this instead:
>
> # the USB network for my Gemini
> auto enp0s29u1u1
> iface enp0s29u1u1 inet dhcp
>

> But of course for network-manager, it would by default use dhcp, and
> you would not manually configure for DHCP in your /e/n/i file.
>
> Always remember you can do an in-foreground one shot DHCP like so:
>
> sudo dhclient -d enp0s29u1u1
>
> which has the benefit that you can easily kill it as desired with a
> CTRL-c, AND you can monitor its output immediately, AND you will see
> immediately if you got the device/ interface name wrong. What's not
> to like?

I'm not sure I understand using DHCP to get the ipaddr for the
network running through the USB connection. Could you explain?

Aside: I will get my knuckles rapped if I explain how I do this
sort of connection using the IPv6 link addresses which means
I don't have to ifup anything before I can transfer files.

Cheers,
David.