Re: connecting to two networks simultaneously on buster

On Tuesday, 21 Aug 2018 at 16:58, Glenn English wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Would somebody please point me to the right magical incantation that
>> would allow my desktop computer to have both connections active
>> simultaneously?
>
> I've done that on a couple boxes here -- a laptop (WiFi and an
> Ethernet) and a workstation (2 Ethernets)
>
> On both of them, I wrote a /etc/network/interfaces script to give an
> IP to the Ethernet and start at boot. The others are DHCP and don't
> come on at boot.

Thanks.  I added a few lines to /e/n/i and everything works just fine
now.  The actual lines are

,----
| # the USB network for my Gemini
| auto enp0s29u1u1
| iface enp0s29u1u1 inet static
|   address 10.15.19.80
`----

and I simply "sudo ifup enp0s29u1u1" when I need it.

But I still do not understand why it works automatically on one of the
systems but not the other.  One of those mysteries, I guess.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian buster/sid