Re: painted into a corner

On Tuesday 21 August 2018 18:33:50 Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 08/19/2018 12:40 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just installed stretch to a fresh 2T HD. letting it autopartition
> > and format for separate /, swap, /var and /home partitions. But I
> > didn't let it overwrite the grub on the 1st drive it was/is  booting
> > wheezy from.
> >
> > I figured I'd mount it to wheezy and copy over my personal stuff,
> > like an email corpus well over 15GB reaching back to 2002.
> >
> > But I can't mount much of the drive, / is all that will actually
> > mount, because the 2 versions of ext4 are incompatible, nearly all
> > the mount and e2tools can't touch the installers ext4 file systems.
> >
> > For instance, its not mounted:
> > gene@coyote:~$ e2fsck /dev/sdb8
> > e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
> > /dev/sdb8 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
> > e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
> >
> > And of course whats installed to wheezy is the latest available
> > wheezy version of e2fsck.
> >
> > Whats the recommended way to do these mounts so I can maintain as
> > much continuity as possible?
> >
> > Thanks all.
>
> Hi Gene, I've seen this before, a few times. If you run #fdisk -l
> while in stretch and get error, you need to fix that first, using
> gparted move the ailing partition '1'byte, just one digit larger or
> smaller, if you have to shrink another partition, do it '2'bytes. UUID
> will not change and it will pass fdisk -l no error.  Now in wheezy see
> if you can mount. If not you can disable the checksums. To disable
> checksums on an existing filesystem, ensure that the filesystem will
> pass fsck. Then turn off metadata_csum via tune2fs.
>       #tune2fs -O ^metadata_csum /dev/path/to/disk
>
> The above is for ext4, for repairing partition I use this with force.
>           #fsck.ext4 -pvcf /dev/sdxx

Thanks Jimmy. I haven't gotten that far, as I've done 6 or 7 installs
today and it will not install grub on anything but /dev/sda.

So now I've swapped the drives so that the new one is sda and this one
I'm booted from is now sdb, and am about to reformat it to suit me with
wheezy's gparted, then try another install. Broken damned installers.
After the last try, I rebooted to the dvd in live mode, thinking I could
do a grub-install from there, only to find that that boot had no trace
of the grub tools.

What a revoltin development that was!

Damned dvd has 3+ gigs of empty space and they can't find room for grub2
tools?  Good Grief, they're staying up nights trying to make a stretch
install come up broken on the reboot.

I'll be useing my bigger lathe to make a big piss-elm club, same one I'll
use on the next person that thinks north of 70 yo is the golden years.
I'll call it my educational club. ;-)

So its off to do the 8th install to the same hard drive today...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)