Re: painted into a corner

On Tuesday 21 August 2018 21:51:36 Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 08/21/2018 05:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Hi Gene, I've seen this before, a few times. If you run #fdisk -l
> >> while in stretch and get error, you need to fix that first, using
> >> gparted move the ailing partition '1'byte, just one digit larger or
> >> smaller, if you have to shrink another partition, do it '2'bytes.
> >> UUID will not change and it will pass fdisk -l no error.  Now in
> >> wheezy see if you can mount. If not you can disable the checksums.
> >> To disable checksums on an existing filesystem, ensure that the
> >> filesystem will pass fsck. Then turn off metadata_csum via tune2fs.
> >>        #tune2fs -O ^metadata_csum /dev/path/to/disk
> >>
> >> The above is for ext4, for repairing partition I use this with
> >> force. #fsck.ext4 -pvcf /dev/sdxx
> >
> > Thanks Jimmy. I haven't gotten that far, as I've done 6 or 7
> > installs today and it will not install grub on anything but
> > /dev/sda.
>
> Run #fdisk -l, only takes a moment...If you have a bad
> partition-table, formatting will not fix it.

It does shut the installer up from complaining about the drive has data
from an old install though. :) And its too late to restart another
install tonight.  And I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to
discuss the protein levels in my liquid output. So we'll have to see
what that leads to.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)