Re: painted into a corner

On 08/21/2018 05:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 21 August 2018 18:33:50 Jimmy Johnson wrote:

On 08/19/2018 12:40 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I just installed stretch to a fresh 2T HD. letting it autopartition
and format for separate /, swap, /var and /home partitions. But I
didn't let it overwrite the grub on the 1st drive it was/is  booting
wheezy from.

I figured I'd mount it to wheezy and copy over my personal stuff,
like an email corpus well over 15GB reaching back to 2002.

But I can't mount much of the drive, / is all that will actually
mount, because the 2 versions of ext4 are incompatible, nearly all
the mount and e2tools can't touch the installers ext4 file systems.

For instance, its not mounted:
gene@coyote:~$ e2fsck /dev/sdb8
e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
/dev/sdb8 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!

And of course whats installed to wheezy is the latest available
wheezy version of e2fsck.

Whats the recommended way to do these mounts so I can maintain as
much continuity as possible?

Thanks all.

Hi Gene, I've seen this before, a few times. If you run #fdisk -l
while in stretch and get error, you need to fix that first, using
gparted move the ailing partition '1'byte, just one digit larger or
smaller, if you have to shrink another partition, do it '2'bytes. UUID
will not change and it will pass fdisk -l no error.  Now in wheezy see
if you can mount. If not you can disable the checksums. To disable
checksums on an existing filesystem, ensure that the filesystem will
pass fsck. Then turn off metadata_csum via tune2fs.
       #tune2fs -O ^metadata_csum /dev/path/to/disk

The above is for ext4, for repairing partition I use this with force.
           #fsck.ext4 -pvcf /dev/sdxx

Thanks Jimmy. I haven't gotten that far, as I've done 6 or 7 installs
today and it will not install grub on anything but /dev/sda.

Run #fdisk -l, only takes a moment...If you have a bad partition-table, formatting will not fix it.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 14.2 - Just Say No! To SystemD, Plasma5 & Drugs!
KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263