Re: What's the right way to get an unbroken mc package installed in Stretch

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

> >From what I have read, the way to do it would be backport the necessary
> pkgs yourself from testing.

And the procedure for doing this is at
<https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation>.  The IRC bots have a
simplified recipe as well, under the factoid name "simple sid backport"
or "ssb" for short.