Re: painted into a corner

On Monday 20 August 2018 08:29:14 Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> On Sunday, August 19, 2018 5:51:24 PM -04 Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > In those cases I usually boot a recent live-CD (or USB-stick) like
> > > KNOPPIX and mount and copy from there.
> >
> > I just rebooted to it, and I found a desktop interface that will
> > wear out a set of batteries in my mouse weekly because it takes at
> > least 8 to 10 clicks and some scroll wheel work just to find a #@%#
> > terminal, and it can't even add tabs to a different shell either! I
> > didn't install anything special for a desktop, took the default
> > because I intended to replace it with TDE asap, and going from 10
> > workspaces, 4 of which have multi-tabbed (up to 7 tabs each)
> > konsoles running on them, with a pulldown text menu to run half the
> > stuff I run on the other workspaces, to a single window, single
> > tasking system thats worse than the last windows box I was asked to
> > configure the networking on, was very disheartening.  So I added the
> > trinity stuff to /etc/apt/sources.list.d using mc to copy that from
> > the old disk, changing the wheezy in the deb line to stretch, and
> > that did not get me the TDE desktop I've been using for years, but
> > did get me some sort of a warning window that was taller than my
> > screen, fussing that some repo I hadn't added, was duff. If debian
> > is trying to kill itself, it was a heck of a good start, not even a
> > windows user looking for something better would be impressed.
> >
> > The only thing that Just Worked was the networking, it took
> > everything for a static net and Just Worked on the reboot.  That was
> > a rather pleasant surprise considering the only stretch based
> > install on my rock64's that works at all was armbian.  None of the
> > other arm|hf|64 *bians will accept a gateway assignment except as as
> > a route command after a login.
> >
> > I'm burned out for today, my cataracts might have to be the next
> > thing I fix.
>
> With KNOPPIX to do such simple things as copying don't boot into the
> X-Window. On boot enter: knoppix 2
> (look at the cheat code)
> and you have text only
> use mc if you must or want
>
> Sorry but I don't have time to wade through rants ...

Sometimes they can be educational, and I try to make mine so if you can
get past my frustration, but in this case its partly my own fault, a
naming confusion on my part, I had put the wrong dvd-1 for 9.4 in the
reader, when I should have used the adapted stretch from the LinuxCNC
guys. I have now burned that one, and if I don't install a desktop at
all, then my tde install will be clean and hopefully uncontaminated by
what is obviously a broken gnome. Trying to make it look and run like
windows 95 is IMO a huge mistake, but one that I must say debian has
done remarkably well. Bring back the pulldown text stuff where 2-3
clicks gets you anything installed.

> All the best
> Eike

Thanks Eike.