Re: checkbox in libreoffice base doesn't work anymore

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 23:58:03 +0200
Flo <debianflo@gmx.at> wrote:

> > The best help I can offer is to recommend you don't use Base for
> > anything mission-critical. It's barely useable, buggy as hell and
> > it frequently regresses. It hasn't improved much in the last five
> > years, though at least it can talk to MySQL directly now rather
> > than using the even less functional ODBC.
> >
> > You and I must be two of about three people in the world using Base,
> > because there's no sense of urgency there. I'm doing pretty much
> > all my database work in PHP now.
> >

> It is kind of critical, I programmed my tax consultant with Base. At
> least it's not time critical :-)

Last year, I opened Base to print an invoice, and the Report Writer was
gone. Not a sign of it opening. I've had trouble with Report Writer
before, but never had it actually go missing. So I spent an evening
learning a PDF library and writing an invoice printer in PHP...

It's a much better application, but it's single-purpose, so not a great
ROI. I once had hopes of Base aspiring to be an Access (by far the best
software MS has ever produced) clone, but I can't see it happening now.
It never got good enough to get enough users to justify the effort to
make it good enough...

--
Joe