Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On 08/17/2018 07:44 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 07:27:01AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 08/17/2018 06:31 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 17 August 2018 05:29:07 Vincent Lefevre wrote:

On 2018-08-13 09:38:48 -0300, Samuel Henrique wrote:
If you pass a file as parameter to apt install, like:
apt install ./package.deb
It will work, at least on buster.

And the "./" is important, otherwise it will not work (until now,
for this reason, I didn't know that passing a file was supported).
I don't know the exact rule, but it seems that the pathname needs
to start with either "/", "./" or "../".

The effect is where the search for the given file is anchored
just a plain filename is assumed to be someplace in the $PATH
/ means its in the root directory
./ means its in the current directory the shell is cd'd to
../ means its one directory level above the currently cd'd to directory

Can an absolute path [/home/richard/mydebs/aname.deb] be given?

Yes. Checked out this useful feature myself today.
Absolute pathname definitely works.

Samuel Henrique has already suggested that a bug report against the apt(8) man page is needed. APT(8) doesn't address the issue directly but does reference APT.CONF(5) which has sections titled "HOW APT CALLS DPKG(1)" and "DIRECTORIES" which appear relevant. I'll have to get my head around what they are attempting to get across. Won't have time until next week.