Using a Debian Stretch netinstaller image as a Rescue Disk

	I am familiar with using the debian netinstaller images
for stretch and earlier versions and they boot up with
installation of debian as their primary purpose but after the
installation is complete, there is a rescue screen in which one
can run a shell and a few utilities to mount the boot drive and
maybe do fsck and so forth.

	Maybe I am missing something obvious but is there a way
to boot the CD, select language and keyboard and then skip
directly to the rescue shell?

	I actually downloaded a dedicated rescue disk and
successfully used it for a few years but it doesn't understand
the ext4 file system used in stretch.  The netinstall image puts
that FS on the boot drive so it should be able to mount /dev/sda1
if one so desires.

	When booting the netinstall image, one is prompted to
choose locale-specific settings for language and keyboard and
then one appears to have no alternative but to format the boot
drive and install the OS.

	I might want to use dd to copy a boot image of another
linux system from a usb drive to /dev/sda or I might just want to
run fsck -f -y /dev/sda1 if that seems to be necessary.  It is
always good if you can do things to the boot drive while it is
unmounted with no active file system.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick