Re: What time is it, really?

On 08/09/2018 12:42 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 09 Aug 2018 at 20:39:16 +0200, john doe wrote:

On 8/9/2018 5:00 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 10:49:52AM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
On Thu, 2018-08-09 at 10:35 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Whoever suggested that is using outdated information.  Install ntp

Why not openntpd?

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/openntpd
Sure, whatever you prefer.  There are at least 4 viable alternatives:

ntp
chrony
openntpd
systemd-timesyncd

Systemd-timesyncd is only a client and using sntp.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-timesyncd.service.html
Ideal for what the OP wants. Either that or chrony, if he would only
make his mind up.

Well, what makes you think I haven't made my mind up?

Several years ago I built a "network clock" that receives WWVB time signals, has a clock display and an Ethernet interface so computers on the local network can ask for the time. The hardware works and the software is able to decode the WWVB time code. I am interested in finishing it now. The computers on the network can use a Perl program to get the time.

Thanks for the help.
Best regards,
Fred