Re: As seen above: use of su vs sudo

> I don’t know if Debian does, but the difference between su and sudo seems quite like to the difference between ssh logins with password and with keys. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

By far: No.
su only invokes or acts like login, pam included. sudo may represent a complex role management.

It's like su calls: Let me log in as TARGET_USER, I have the password. Done.

Using sudo, you call for for a specific privilege. Which may be a command or a login shell, when using 'sudo -i TARGET_USER'.
sudo then decides, based on your current UID and GID, with wwhich UID and/or GID you want to claim what privilege, if this will be granted. And then you may, which is the default, type in YOUR user password to authenticate your self.

Martin