Re: Please help with error message

	Hi.

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:01:02PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Di, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:35:32 +0300, Reco wrote:
> > > rodolfo@sda6-acer:~$ su
> > Don't. Do. That. Ever.
>
> That’s bullshit. I did it all the time until Debian decided to break things.

It never hurts to check an appropriate manpage *before* calling BS.
In this case:

The su command is used to become another user during a login session.
Invoked without a username, su defaults to becoming the superuser. The
optional argument - may be used to provide an environment similar to
what the user would expect had the user logged in directly.

> I never had your mentioned problems.

Either you have /sbin in your user's path, or you haven't run a single
apt-get all these years. There are other possibilities, of course,
though less flattering.

> „su” doesn’t change the working directory. So if you compile software as a
> user you can then type „make install” after su.

True. But this tidbit does not relate to this particular problem at all.

> Now it is simpler to compile as root user.

It was always 'simpler'. But not 'smarter'.

> If you need to run an X11 program as root su preserved the DISPLAY variable.

And it also preserves $HOME. So any changed configuration file will be
owned by root. Not a big deal if you never try to run the program in
question as your user.

> Luckily you can switch back to the old behaviour, but this should be the
> default.

Care to provide a Debian bug number that you filled on this particular
issue? Because rants on debian-user do not transform to patches by
themselves.

> As Linus would say: „Don’t break user behaviour! Give them an
> option to switch to a new one.”.

A recent kernel update (linux-4.9.110-3+deb9u1) begs to differ.
Two notable behaviour changes without any way to disable them.

Reco