Re: As seen above: use of su vs sudo

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:58:48 +0200
Martin Drescher <keine-eile@online.de> wrote:

> Hi members,
>
> I'm a little... lets say thoughtful, about the use of 'su' discussed
> at some points in this list. I have a strong opinion about su, which
> is, avoid it whenever it is possible and use 'sudo' instead. This is
> the case in close to a 100% in all cases I can think of. This opinion
> is based on how both programs work and deal with pam and
> environmental variables. Not to forget: You will not need to share
> (or in my case, not even set, but lock that account) a root password.
>
> And I'm curious why Debian still prefers the use of su over sudo?

Why, I don't know, but the last time I installed stable, sudo was not
installed by default, and never has been in my experience. I always add
sudo and mc immediately after an installation.

Now I don't recall the details offhand, but there are some things sudo
cannot do, I think involving file permissions. The only time I use su
is when sudo doesn't do the job, which may be about once a year.

--
Joe