Re: Routing all traffic trough VPN

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 11:24:21AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 09:48:02 -0000 (UTC)
> zaxonxp <zaxonxp45@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Debian Stretch I managed to configure VPN connection using network-
> > manager. Now I would like to redirect all traffic to VPN (whenever
> > VPN is available) and revert back to current state (if VPN is not
> > available).
> >
> > The only problem is that I do not know how to do this.
>
> I believe it should happen by default, this is almost always what you
> want. I'm fairly sure I've never had to ask for this.
>
> When the VPN connects, Network Manager should adjust routing so that
> the VPN becomes the default gateway. To disable this behaviour, there
> is a tick box somewhere in IP properties of the VPN connection, I think.

That is usually something that is managed by the VPN server pushing a
default route to the client.  However, please note that network-manager
handling of DNS is still likely to leak DNS queries to DNS servers
outside of the VPN.  This was recently discussed in this thread:

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez