Re: A tutorial for MySql installation

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 09:10:12AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 08/02/2018 08:27 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> >>It was pointed out that MySql would be more suitable.
> >
> >I don't understand this statement...
>
> Nor did I :/
> During my reading before attempting to install MariaDB it was either
> an enhanced MySql or a renaming to avoid confusion with something
> that didn't meet how Debian defines FOSS.

It was a reaction by some of the MySQL original developers (Monty
Widenius among others) to the fact that Oracle, by buying Sun's
leftovers, gained control of MySQL (MySQL had been sold to Sun before).

Obviously they didn't trust Oracle to be a good governor of a free
competition to their crown jewel, and they forked MySQL (which is
possible, because it was under a free license). See [1].

[...]

> >Note: Network and LAN are different things here. You don't
> >need a "running LAN" [...]

> That may have been the source of one set of problems. I couldn't see
> a distinction in the documentation between references that strictly
> applied to a network server and what applied to the database server.

There isn't actually a big difference for the server whether it is
serving local clients or clients over the network. Authentication
is stricter for network clients (you can limit them by IP address
and so on), but that should be all.

> Is there something focused on that topic. If it's explanation
> doesn't solve my comprehension problems, at least it would be common
> ground for me ask further intelligent questions.

The problem is that there are *lots* of docs (it is a complex
topic, after all). You can start a long browsing excursion here

  https://mariadb.org/learn/

> IIRC there were two different types of accounts (and associated
> passwords) to be set up. I messed up and was unable to untangle the
> mess.

Shit happens. For relational databases there's a fine-grained access
control system. Typically you start by setting up a "root" user
(perhaps there is one and you only need to set up its credentials),
who can create databases and grant rights to the more pedestrian
users.

> >>Is there a suitable tutorial for Debian 9 and whatever release of
> >>MySql is in the repository?
> >
> >MySQL and MariaDB shouldn't be very different in this respect,
> >I guess...
>
> <chuckle> I was aiming at MySql as I understood it shared the same
> end-user interface as MariaDB [...]

They do share much more. MariaDB is aimed at being a "drop in"
replacement for MySQL for those who want to keep Oracle at some
distance.

> I don't have a strong preference for MySql over MariaDB. I need a
> tutorial valid for the version in the current repository.

Pick one. I'd pick MariaDB, but hey. I'm a bit wary of BigCorps.

> Once burned, twice shy.

Yes, more or less.

Cheers
- -- t