A tutorial for MySql installation

Some time ago failed to install MariaDB. I hadn't realized it was tightly aimed at being on a network server. It was pointed out that MySql would be more suitable. I attempted to install it. It failed due to reasons I don't recall. I suspect that part of the problem was I was attempting to follow instructions aimed at an older release of MySql.

I am running Debian 9 (just did a system upgrade from 9.0).
My hardware is a Thinkpad T510.
I am the only user with physical access to the machine.
I do *NOT* have any LAN software installed.

Is there a suitable tutorial for Debian 9 and whatever release of MySql is in the repository?

TIA