Re: A tutorial for MySql installation

On 08/02/2018 08:27 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 08:20:08AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
Some time ago failed to install MariaDB. I hadn't realized it was
tightly aimed at being on a network server.

The MariaDB server *is* conceptually a network server, as is the
MySQL server (but see below).

It was pointed out that MySql would be more suitable.

I don't understand this statement...

Nor did I :/
During my reading before attempting to install MariaDB it was either an enhanced MySql or a renaming to avoid confusion with something that didn't meet how Debian defines FOSS.

  I attempted to install it. It failed
due to reasons I don't recall. I suspect that part of the problem
was I was attempting to follow instructions aimed at an older
release of MySql.

I am running Debian 9 (just did a system upgrade from 9.0).
My hardware is a Thinkpad T510.
I am the only user with physical access to the machine.
I do *NOT* have any LAN software installed.

Note: Network and LAN are different things here. You don't
need a "running LAN" to have a (MariaDB, Mysql, PostgreSQL)
server running. But conceptually, they offer their services
at something which can be considered a network connection
(be it a local TCP/IP socket or a Unix domain socket).

That may have been the source of one set of problems. I couldn't see a distinction in the documentation between references that strictly applied to a network server and what applied to the database server.

Is there something focused on that topic. If it's explanation doesn't solve my comprehension problems, at least it would be common ground for me ask further intelligent questions.

IIRC there were two different types of accounts (and associated passwords) to be set up. I messed up and was unable to untangle the mess.

Is there a suitable tutorial for Debian 9 and whatever release of
MySql is in the repository?

MySQL and MariaDB shouldn't be very different in this respect,
I guess...

<chuckle> I was aiming at MySql as I understood it shared the same end-user interface as MariaDB. I had originally aimed at MariaDB as a consultant for my church had created a web-page for us using WordPress which depends on MariaDB. My goal was to be able to do routine _content_ updates. Having worked for DEC in the 70's and heard war stories from senior field service supervisors, I was *NOT* about to apply any changes to a live website website without testing locally!

I don't have a strong preference for MySql over MariaDB. I need a tutorial valid for the version in the current repository.

Once burned, twice shy.

TIA