Re: Question about /proc/loadavg

Hi Andy,

Am 02.08.2018 um 13:01 schrieb Andy Smith:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 09:31:42AM +0200, Martin Drescher wrote:
[...]
>> 4.9. It is not a real problem, that Debian is running well.
>
> It is likely that the kernel's idea of what is a "runnable" process
> has changed since the vintage of the Red Hat kernel, compared to the
> kernel which Debian stable uses.
>
> The Debian kernel will be much closer to upstream. The RHEL kernel
> will be much older with backports only of security issues and
> serious bugs. Tweaking of load average stats probably did not make
> the grade for a backport.

That is what I thought. What I'm struggling with is, how to set alert levels new deployed Debian machines compared to the older ones.

> Here is some more information about how Linux load average is
> calculated. This may help you to narrow down which processes are
> being considered differently between the two kernels.
>
>     <http://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html>

That is a quite good source you're suggesting here, thanks!

> Cheers,
> Andy

That IS a good idea (did we talk before?): 30°C outside, 34°C in office: On my way to the Biergarten by now...
Cheers, Martin!

----

Please consider the environment,          ()
do you really need HTML email?            /\