Re: apache not running at boot

On 7/23/2018 12:14 AM, Dave wrote:

On 7/22/18 1:04 PM, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
On 7/22/18, mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2018-07-22 16:13, Dave wrote:
<snipped>
i can't imagine why Deb, is not automatically configuring apache2 to
auto start, a well know server for 10+ years and yet it seems in my
case it was not configured properly.

Please if anyone out there may have the answer, let us know.
as it seems that the network comes up after a reboot at this stage I'd
be inclined to remove and re-install apache2 and hope that the install
sorts it out.

but then I don't know what I'm doing.

It's always an option in my own playbook. It's a last resort one, but
still an option.

I go the additional step to secondarily purge any dependencies that
*might* suddenly become orphaned during a remove/uninstall. Apt-get is
friendly about sharing those.

Newly orphaned packages will be offered up as part of the feedback for
a command such as "apt-get upgrade". I don't how other package
managers handle the same.

That extra step is worth it to me because maybe the problem is with a
dependency package and not necessarily the primary desired one.

Cindy :)

I think i should explain something i did not explain before -

I have an old server that is currently running, it is old and running Deb 4 , and completely configured to run with our 1 router, server IP, dhcp, all ports 80, 443, 22, 21 ect ...

The Apache2 issue is on my new server Deb 9.4 which will replace the old server once it is all configured. At this time the new server is not configured with the router as i do not believe i can run 2 servers at the same time on the same network ( or can i ). and i do not want any interruption with the old server running as it is serving the many websites and network services needed for my business.

In short i am trying to make a smooth transition.

So perhaps Apache is not starting because my new server is not configured with our 1 router .. ? maybe ?

I have 1 internet line, and 1 router.

To keep it simple:

The router will dish out Ip address on a given subnet.
So you may have both servers (old, new) connected on the same subnet without inpacting connections to the old server.

Don't you have an other router laying around that could be used to create a small test network (spare router giving an IP address to new router and one client to test how everything is working).

If you want to keep that new isolated server from the network you can always asign a fix Ip address to the interface and see how it goes.
NetworkManager will need to be used (I can't help you on that front).

That does not explain though why it is working when you start the apache2 manually and not at boot; one explanation could be that NetworkManager is configuring that interface.

$ ip addr show <INT-NAME>

Hopefully, you are doing the configuration of apache on the new server from scratch.

I'm not sure about using NetworkManager on a server; I would rather install Debian with no desktop manager and install webmin or something similar.

--
John Doe