Re: unable to connect to database in MediaWiki 1.27.4 installation

On 7/12/2018 5:17 PM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> writes:

On 2018-07-08 19:03, mick crane wrote:

On 2018-07-08 08:53, Sharon Kimble wrote:
I'm unable to get mediawiki from the repos working as it is consistently
failing at accessing the database as part of its configuration at the
beginning. I say 'consistently' as the same problem has occurred when
trying to install mediawiki from source, and this is a clean fresh
install so I think that it must be something in my /home because it is a
completely new fresh install. But what?

Can anyone give me some guidance here please, as I've been looking in my
/home for anything 'mariadb' or 'mysql'-like but without any success.

When I input my database details into
'http://localhost/mediawiki/mw-config/index.php?page=DBConnect' I get an
error message saying -

╭────
│DB connection error: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (localhost).
│
│Check the host, username and password and try again.
╰────

To my thinking, its obviously comparing what I'm inputting into
something, and deciding that they don't match, so therefore giving me an
error message. But what is it comparing to?

Thanks
Sharon.

I don't know what error you get if mysqld is not running but best see if it is

"ps ax | grep mysql"

mick

Thanks for replying Mick.

This is what I get using a slightly better command than yours (you
missed out the 'u' in aux :)

a u x are options
╭────
│$ ps aux | grep mysql
│mysql      962  0.0  0.0 698580 65656 ?        Ssl  Jul07   0:59
/usr/sbin/mysqld
╰────

Which is about right as I rebooted yesterday.

And I've just checked and I'm still not able to get past the 'Connect to
database' page in the mediawiki setup process.

I dunno what you've done or what mediawiki setup does, I think I might
have installed it once for curiosity.
I know little about mediawiki what I would do is look about for handy
mysql commands so you can see what is what.

believe you can logon from system root to the root mysql account
without a password and have a look what users and databases there are
I'd probably do that and delete any mediawiki database and mediawiki
users, create new ones with passwords I write down and input that to
the mediawiki setup.
What I'm uncertain about is changing the mysql root password if I
might have told other things what it is.

thinking a bit about it
any setup program probably only wants to know the mysql root password to create the users and
database
and once its done that it doesn't need it anymore so you could probably go ahead and change the
mysql password to something you will remember.
I'm sure if given bad advice will be told off.

mick

Thanks to Mick and John Doe I'm finally back into mediawiki. I used this
page [fn:1] to help me in creating a new root database password, and
then securely setting up the database. And then I deleted the Debian
mediawiki package, and then deleted all the dependant packages after
creating a note exactly which packages I was deleting.

And then I installed mediawiki manually so that I'm now using the most
up to date and stable version. And then my required skin and extensions,
and finally all the mediawiki pages that I've written, and now its all
working nicely, so thanks fellas.

Now to find out how to auto-backup my database tables. Its not essential
as its all on this machine just for developing mediawiki pages on, but
it would still be nice to do.

Nice to hear that you got it working.:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki

--