Re: How to"apt update" from an USB key ?

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, David Wright wrote:

On Thu 12 Jul 2018 at 03:05:49 (+0000), davidson wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Pierre Couderc wrote:

On 07/11/2018 03:14 PM, Curt wrote:
On 2018-07-11, Pierre Couderc <pierre@couderc.eu> wrote:
On an ultraslim (ACER swift 3) I have no CDROM no Ethernet,
only an USB key.
I have installed stretch (without GUI) from the USB key, and now I want
to install connman, but I do not success to apt-cdrom on an USB.
[trimmed material]
 First adjust sources.list to only have

   deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/media/DVD-1/ stretch main

("trusted" avoids warnings about unauthenticated packages--you trust
the iso on the stick, we assume.)

 Make the DVD-1 directory:

   mkdir /media/DVD-1/

 and insert the USB stick. Obtain the device name from dmesg or lsblk.
 Then (for example)

   mount /dev/sdg1 /media/DVD-1/

apt update; apt install connman

Merci  beucoup, Curt I had seen this kind of solution, but it did
not work as I had not discovered the "trusted" option.

Now, I have to understand why it says me :

Malformed line 6 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse)

when my line 6 is :

deb [trusted=yes] file:/media/cdrom/ stretch main

On-topic:

I hesitate to speculate out loud about features I have never used and
am too lazy to test out myself, but since the OP is getting complaints
about malformed lines, I will remark that in every example shown in...

  $ man sources.list

... where option-values are passed within square brackets ([]), there
are spaces separating the option specification from its enclosing
brackets.  For example, one sees

  deb [ someoption=somevalue ] uri stretch main

but never

  deb [someoption=somevalue] uri stretch main

So maybe the spaces following '[' and preceding ']' are important.

FWIW my take on this man page is different from yours.

 The format for two one-line-style entries using the deb and
 deb-src types is:

   deb [ option1=value1 option2=value2 ] uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]
   deb-src [ option1=value1 option2=value2 ] uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]

The " [ " and " ] " stand for themselves, and delimit the option list.

The " [component1] " stands for, say, "main" or "contrib" etc., ie
brackets are metacharacters.

It must be just as you say. The spaces in the examples serve only to
disambiguate between literal- and meta-brackets.

And now I know why I couldn't locate any discussion in sources.list(5)
which explicitly stated that including such spaces is important.
(Because in fact they are not important in the slightest.)

Thanks.

Perhaps:

  deb "[" option1=value1 option2=value2 "]" uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]
  deb-src "[" option1=value1 option2=value2 "]" uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]

would be clearer.

You don't take this far enough.  This calls for full Extended
Backus-Naur form, sudoers(5) style.

Only then can we be certain there will be no confusion.