Re: Problems installing MariaDB

On Friday 29 June 2018 09:22:56 Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 07:59:57AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >I have not used a relational database since dBASEII was current.
> >About a year ago I attempted to install MariaDB but didn't find
> >tutorial which was a close enough match to my system.
> >
> >I found (and attempted to follow) instructions at:
> >   https://www.tecmint.com/install-mariadb-in-debian/
> >
> > https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/mariadb/mariadb-setup-debian/
> >
> >I successfully did:
> >   apt-get install software-properties-common
>
> This is not strictly necessary. software-properties-common provides
> the program "apt-add-repository" which, in turn, is only required if
> you're installing packages from a different repository (particularly
> Ubuntu PPAs). However, 'mariadb-server' is in all current versions of
> Debian (jessie to sid), so you're best to stick with the Debian
> version.
>
> >   apt-get install mariadb-server mariadb-client
> >
> >*BUT* both references auto-magically go to a GUI setup screen.
>
> This is part of the magic of dpkg called "debconf". "debconf" is a
> system whereby packages can ask a user questions at installation (and
> removal) time and configure themselves accordingly. debconf comes with
> a series of frontends depending on the user's preferred method of
> interaction. What you see in those tutorials (the grey boxes with the
> blue background) is the frontend called "dialog". There are more basic
> fronends (Noninteractive - answers must be provided in a pre-existing
> text file, Readline - questions are asked by a simple plain-text
> prompt and Editor - use your favourite text editor to provide answers)
> as well as more glitzy ones (Gnome and KDE).
>
> Debconf uses a fallback method, too. If you select, say, Gnome as your
> frontend, but are updating outside of an X environment, then debconf
> can fallback to 'dialog' and, if you're installing on a dumb terminal
> (say, your computer is so badly off that you're installing over a
> serial line) it can fallback to readline.
>
> Now, if you're not getting these prompts, then the best place to start
> is by choosing (again) the configuration of debconf. Run:
>
>   # dpkg-reconfigure debconf
>
> and, hopefully, you should first be asked what your preferred frontend
> is. Next, you will be asked to set the LOWEST priority of question you
> want to see. Critical prompts are for questions that might break your
> system (e.g. I would imagine that systemd's take over of init was
> couched as a critical question). High importance are for questions
> that the package needs to know the answer to (but if you don't provide
> that answer, the service probably won't run) and Low importance
> questions are the sort that 99% of people will just skip over.
>
> Finally, once you've reconfigured debconf, try running:
>
>  # dpkg-reconfigure mariadb-server
>
> and you should get prompted for the default password.
>
> >I'm using Debian 9 with MATE.
> >I don't find anything related on the Applications nor System menus.
> [...]

This is a far better manpage than the manpage for debconf, which could
serve as a model for a sparse manpage. I've read that one several times.
Its good english, but essentially devoid of helpfull info. Shows
options, but does not adequately describe what they actually do.

Thank you Darac.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)